Abandonned projects

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #993
    Gerold
    Participant
    Gildor Inglorion wrote:
    I wrote to Michael and Chris last night… it really is time to do something about the missing MZ621 and long forgotten M546-550 series… even if they don’t plan to release ranges, they could at least fill those gaps…

    about estimations, 2020 is almost over and that will generate new estimations I suppose? wouldn’t it be wiser to update everything once you have the 2020 estimation?

    In december 2017 I already asked on the Mithril forum about the plans for the next 5 numbers of part 3 of Helm’s Deep. Michael replied he was not sure.
    In july 2020 I asked again, and still did not get an answer…

    #39053
    Gerold
    Participant
    Gildor Inglorion wrote:
    I wrote to Michael and Chris last night… it really is time to do something about the missing MZ621 and long forgotten M546-550 series… even if they don’t plan to release ranges, they could at least fill those gaps…

    about estimations, 2020 is almost over and that will generate new estimations I suppose? wouldn’t it be wiser to update everything once you have the 2020 estimation?

    In december 2017 I already asked on the Mithril forum about the plans for the next 5 numbers of part 3 of Helm’s Deep. Michael replied he was not sure.
    In july 2020 I asked again, and still did not get an answer…

    #39054
    Thingol
    Participant

    He is still not sure…. ;-)

    #39056
    Gildor
    MMP Elder

    well as i said in another thread : originally the Helm’s deep part 3 was 10 figs, but Lars asked Chris to only make 5…. thus creating a gap

    later, Chris has suggested Lars to fill those 5 gaps with “Hobbit” vignettes to serve as a “showcase” for a new hobbit range that… never happened… (lots of disagreements on artistic agenda between Chris and Lars also including the new website design which did not please Chris…) and was simply replaced by a remake of the Hobbit boxed set as [mith]MB685[/mith]… years later, actually, recently…

    among the five never produced (and still work in progress…) vignettes there were Gandalf meeting Bilbo at Bag End’s door and another vignette of arrival at Bree (a dwarf rider, and two dwarf footmen and a running hobbit at a a standing post… strangely it rather looks like Bilbo running towards Thorin company when they left him behind on the morning of their journey)

    NB : I don’t think Michael is himself aware of all of this…

    #39061
    Thingol
    Participant

    All of those vignettes looks fine in this description… Pity…

    #39069
    Milo
    Participant

    Indeed…then it’s up to our masters of Diorama to recreate what’s never been produced.:)

    #39070
    Gerold
    Participant

    It’s not the only project started by Mithril and never finished…
    In history of Mithril there have been several projects never finished. Sometimes because they were not succesfull, I assume, and others because of reasons unknown to me.

    Like these ones:
    – the Warbands: ok, not the fault of Mithril that this serie had to be stopped; it seemed they did not have the rights to produce units that were intended for wargames;
    – the ‘vignette’ series, started in 1995: it was supposed to be a range of vignettes with the most important scenes of LotR. This project ended in 1996 counting 8 vignettes (the last one being MV376 The Barrow-tomb). However a third vignette-serie suddenly did see the light in 2005 (MV419 and MV420 – both Pelennor Field subjects).
    – the Battle of Five Armies: this project was started at the end of 1995, with the release of the range ‘Thorin and Dain’, announcing this would be the first of five ranges under the name ‘The Battle of Five Armies’. There has never been a second range.
    – Armies of Gondor: this project counts 2 ranges so far (Part 1 : M424-M433 Lossarnach range and Part 2 : M484-M493 Dol Amroth range); it is not clear if this project was intended to count only these two ranges; but there are certainly more Gondorian provincial armies to think of.
    – Mordor’s armies: this project counts only Part 1 : M472-M481 Corsairs of Umbar range; there has never been a Part 2;
    – Helm’s Deep: yes ! Three ranges released as announced from the start (in 2009, 2011 and 2016, but still)! However the last range was only a half one; the last five M-numbers simply stay unused;
    – The LR-range: started in 1998 it was the intension to produce 100 miniatures of the most important characters and personalities from LotR; it ended with the release of LR40 Arwen. Still 60 to go:)

    Now to make things clear: I am a big fan of all miniatures I mentioned above, so I’m very glad Mithril has made what there is; I just don’t understand Mithril’s politics about starting new projects each time and not finishing them.

    #39072
    Maenas
    Participant
    Gerold wrote:
    – The LR-range: started in 1998 it was the intension to produce 100 miniatures of the most important characters and personalities from LotR; it ended with the release of LR40 Arwen. Still 60 to go:)

    Oh that’s true!! I forgot about that fact, and I was subscribed to it on my shop (Juegos sin fronteras) I liked those miniatures quite a lot, the only negative point was that sometimes removing the plastic wrap from little parts was a bit of a hell… hahaha But I liked them since they were more three dimensional, and they included little painting step by steps.

    Gerold wrote:
    Now to make things clear: I am a big fan of all miniatures I mentioned above, so I’m very glad Mithril has made what there is; I just don’t understand Mithril’s politics about starting new projects each time and not finishing them.

    I think their politic it’s just like that…. a bit chaotic and messy…

    #39074
    Gildor
    MMP Elder

    LR was good, but too many parts and the way they were plastified on the blister card was quite awful too but the Nazgul series were one of my favorite figurines of the whole range, great details!

    about politics I have my ideas…. Lars wants something, Chris wants something. sometimes projects are begun by Chris and rejected by Lars… the sale of Chris parts in Mithril happened around the release of the LR range if I remember well… that’s when all things begun to mess up…. and since that time, projects begun can be shut down by Lars decision… (which are also in part dictated by the loss of income and the decrease of interest in figurines from people in general… that’s now an “old” hobby … every company is somewhat affected. and those who do not publish for “wargaming” have difficulties to say the least.

    #39079
    Mornedhel
    Participant

    the fact that the main shareholder of Mithril is a fishing company is maybe a point :D

    [imgz url=http://mmp.faerylands.eu/uploads/485_mithril_cpy.jpg]http://mmp.faerylands.eu/uploads/thumbs/485_mithril_cpy.jpg[/imgz]

    #39080
    Gildor
    MMP Elder

    Lars Edman is managing a lot of companies (some of them generating benefice unlike Mithril or more generally, PA…), Prince August is but one of them, and from what I know… Mithril is a hobby for him… what is produced is mainly for his own collecting of figurines…He does not invest anymore in it but he does not want it to die either as he wants those figurines for himself too… so I think the situation suits him currently… but I may be wrong…

    #39082
    Thingol
    Participant
    Gildor Inglorion wrote:
    Lars Edman is managing a lot of companies (some of them generating benefice unlike Mithril or more generally, PA…), Prince August is but one of them, and from what I know… Mithril is a hobby for him… what is produced is mainly for his own collecting of figurines…He does not invest anymore in it but he does not want it to die either as he wants those figurines for himself too… so I think the situation suits him currently… but I may be wrong…

    … you are not wrong…..

    #39084
    ddaines
    Participant
    Milo wrote:
    Indeed…then it’s up to our masters of Diorama to recreate what’s never been produced.:)

    I do my best LOL, but have other areas of modelling interest. Incidentally I have drawn out a number of ‘Thumbnail’ sketches of scenes that I would like to create, a case of so much to do and so little time :P

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
English EN French FR German DE Italian IT Spanish ES